Patient Confidentiality and Data Protection
We ask you for personal information so that you can receive appropriate care and treatment. This information is recorded on computer and we are registered under the Data Protection Act. The Data Protection Act gives you a number of rights in relation to how your personal information is used, including a right to access the information we hold about you. The practice will ensure that patient confidentiality is maintained at all times by all members of the practice team. However, for the effective functioning of a multi-disciplinary team it is sometimes necessary that medical information about you is shared between members of the practice team. Identifiable information about you will be shared with others in the following circumstances:
- To provide further medical treatment for you e.g. from district nurses and hospital services.
- To enable our patients to be included in regional and national programmes such as the cervical cytology screening services or immunisation programmes
- To help you get other services e.g. from the social work department. This requires your consent.
- When we have a duty to others e.g. in child protection cases.
- Anonymised patient information will also be used at local and national level to help the Health Board and Government plan services e.g. for diabetic care.
If you do not wish anonymous information about you to be used in such a way, please let us know.
Reception and administration staff require access to your medical records in order to do their jobs. These members of staff are bound by the same rules of confidentiality as the medical staff. Everyone working for the NHS has a legal duty to keep information about you confidential.
If you require access to your medical records please put a request in writing to, Senior Receptionist, Orchid House Surgery, St Mary's Road, Ferndown, Dorset. BH22 9HF. We will also require proof of identification.
Click here to download our Registration Entry Details (Registration with the Information Commissioners Office)
Click here to download our Registration Entry Certificate